The history of our technical team stretches back well beyond the founding of Pacific Basin, as many of our technical management colleagues served at the venerable Jardine Ship Management which we acquired in 2000.
Since 2010, we have won a number of top global and regional industry awards for safety, environmental protection and CSR including:
- Safety Award at Lloyd's List Global Awards 2016 and Seatrade Maritime Awards Asia 2016
- Safety Award at Lloyd's List Global Awards 2014 and IBJ Awards 2013
- Shipmanager of the Year and Environment Award at Lloyd's List Asia Awards 2011
- Environment Award at Lloyd's List Global Awards 2011 and IBJ Awards 2012
- Seafarer of the Year at Lloyd's List Global Awards 2011 (Captain Zhu Qianchun)
- Hong Kong Marine Department award for Outstanding Performance in Port State Control Inspections in 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010
- Hong Kong Marine Department Green Award in 2012, 2010
- Corporate Social Responsibility Award at Seatrade Asia Awards 2012
See more Pacific Basin awards on our Awards page.
As ship owners, our service reliability is enhanced by an innovative and comprehensive in-house technical ship management capability that assures the quality of our large fleet of owned ships and growing number of seafarers, while also driving our sector-leading safety and environmental performance.
Our experienced team of ship managers, superintendents, crewing managers and seafarers have tailored their service to the specific needs of our company and our Handysize and Supramax ships, ensuring a strong safety culture and uniform high standards across our fleet.
Their job is to ensure safety and maximise availability of our owned ships so that, as far as possible, our vessels are at all times in a state of operational readiness and in compliance with classification society and flag state rules, environmental regulations and all other local and international laws and regulations.
Our comprehensive technical ship management function covers:
- New ship design input and contracting support
- New ship construction supervision
- Pre-purchase ship inspection
- Crew selection, recruiting, training and management
- Technical ship management
- Marine & safety quality management and superintendence
- Compliance with regulatory agencies
- Dry docking supervision
- Safety & security assessments and training
- Internal/external audit corrective action implementation
We operate our own Pacific Basin crewing and training centres is Dalian and Manila where our crew recruiting, training and management activities are based. Substantially all of our pool of 3,000 seafarers are from China or the Philippines.
Our commitment to Safety is manifested through (a) a proactive Pacific Basin Management System, (b) innovative home-grown initiatives and significant investment in seafarer training at sea and ashore to standards exceeding mandatory requirements, and (c) KPIs that are among the best in the industry.
Our Pacific Basin Management System ashore and at sea conforms to the mandatory International Safety Management (ISM) Code. It is also certified by Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance (LRQA) to voluntary standards, including:
- ISO 9001:2008 for our quality management system
- ISO 14001:2004 for our environmental management system
- OHSAS 18001:2007 for our occupational health & safety management system