The health, safety and behaviour of our employees underlies every aspect of how we operate. They are driven by policies, procedures, a team culture and efforts to continually improve how we conduct ourselves in our business at sea and onshore. Providing healthy work conditions, a safe and supportive environment and opportunities to advance and develop within the Company are key to the well-being and fulfilment of our staff and the success of Pacific Basin.
We believe that the right investment in our employees – both at sea and ashore – does much to increase safety, knowledge, productivity and contribution, and promote a deeper sense of belonging across our organisation. Investment in employee engagement broadly takes the following forms:
- We put safety first at all times and have clear policies and procedures for our ship and shore staff to follow. Our Pacific Basin Management System is a key element in capturing performance and provides a mechanism for us to analyse our performance to facilitate improvement.
- Our SQHE policy in conjunciton with Pacific Basin Management System ensures employment standards and certifications comply with the STCW Code.
- Risk assessment systems identify and establish appropriate safeguards and practices.
- Teamwork and a no-blame culture drive an excellent safety record.
- Training, best practices and adherance to Internationally Recommended Transit Corridor mandates are followed in the Gulf of Aden and other areas where there are threats of piracy attacks.
- High-performance teamwork at Pacific Basin is vital to our success. We foster high crew standards and teamwork at sea, and our shore-based technical managers operations are experienced former ships' Masters and Chief Engineers. This encourages a culture where problems are shared openly and officers can rely on the very best, consistent support from ashore.
- Investment in the development and training of our staff at sea and ashore is key to maximising the safety and productivity of our employees.
- Motivating and engaging our employees is essential to retaining our greatest asset: our people.
- Crew conferences, training seminars and cadet programmes offer a clear path of advancement within the ranks of our crew.
- We invest in classroom or seminar-based training for our shore-based employees.
- High-quality offices offer employees a safe and comfortable work environment. This includes good lighting and air conditions and ergonomic workstations.
- We encourage a healthy balance between family life and work.
- We keep our employees engaged through newsletters, information circulars, town hall meetings, an open-door policy, and multiple means of staying connected through an intranet and instant messaging system.
- We take pride in the diveristy of our staff across colour, gender, age and other.
- Our shore-based staff comprise executives of around 30 nationalities.
- The gender and age distribution of our shore-based workforce is well-balanced.
- 25% of our shore-based staff have worked for Pacific Basin for over 10 years testament to job fulfillment at Pacific Basin over a period of significant growth.
- We may not pay the highest wages, but our high officer and crew retention rate speaks volumes about the job fulfillment we offer our seafarers.
- We are good humoured, caring and fair, and treat everybody with dignity and respect, encouraging diversity of opinions and cultures.
- We honour our commitments.
- We know our customers and their business and adhere to trading practices that follow the letter of local, regional and international maritime law.
- Labour standards and human rights practices adhere to all conventions where our ships trade and our offices are located.
- Our code of conduct prohibits staff from offering or accepting bribes or engaging in fraud, forgery, collusion or anti-competitive behaviour.
- Our staff abide by Hong Kong and international anti-corruption regulations.
- Stores and spares are purchased from approved suppliers.
Investment in the development and training of our staff at sea and ashore is key to maximising our crew and ships' safety and productivity. It is also a major factor in the motivation, engagement and retention of our employees.
- Team building exercises and events promote high-performance teamwork and a culture of high standards
- Global communications via an intranet and instant messaging system ensure real time connectivity;
- Understudy programs are available for young executives
- Independent classroom and seminar training is encouraged
- High-potential employees identified as future leaders receive additional leadership and management coaching
- Frequent training seminars are held in our Manila and Dalian crewing centres
- Incident review, root cause analysis and preventive measures are developed, communicated and deployed
- Communications regarding regulatory changes and industry developments are appropriately and frequently distributed
- We have cadet recruitment programs in China and the Philippines
- Fleet training managers sail periodically on vessels to offer on-the-job training
Going Beyond Requirements
We train our seafarers to standards exceeding those required by STCW. Some of the extra investments we make in training on-board, in classrooms, via computer or simulator include:
- Maritime Resource Management training
- Bridge Resource Management
- Engine Resource Management
- Pre-joining briefings
Our Pacific Basin Management System ashore and at sea conforms to the mandatory International Safety Management (ISM) Code. It is also certified by Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance (LRQA) to voluntary standards, including:
- ISO 9001:2008 for our quality management system
- ISO 14001:2004 for our environmental management system
- OHSAS 18001:2007 for our occupational health & safety management system
TRACE has completed a TRACEcertification due diligence review of Pacific Basin Shipping Limited. Certification by TRACE signifies that Pacific Basin Shipping Limited has completed internationally accepted due diligence procedures and has been forthcoming and cooperative during the review process.
TRACEcertification underscores Pacific Basin Shipping Limited's commitment to transparency in international commercial transactions.